22 May is International Biodiversity Day! Lots of activities to choose from, especially for kids and the family!
- Raffles Museum Open House
- MAD Lesson on Mousedeer and her forest friends with Cicada Tree Eco Place
- Free Chek Jawa boardwalk tour with the Naked Hermit Crabs
- Nature Adventure Walk at Dairy Farm Nature Park for kids
- MacRitchie Day Out for kids
- PrawnWatch at Sungei Buloh hands on tour of traditional prawn farming
Special talks and film screenings
- 22 May (Sat): "In Celebration of Singapore’s Biodiversity: News, Views and Surprises!" - by N. Sivasothi
- 22 May (Sat): "Birds in our urban parks and gardens!"
- 22 & 23 May (Sat & Sun): Screening of "Singapore Hornbill Project - Return of the King"
- 19 May (Wed): Screening of "Addicted to Plastic"
More special events
- Acres Gala Dinner 2010 help animals with your participation
- Dive Pulau Hantu with the Hantu Bloggers.
- 22 May-20 Jun: BiodiverCity Photo Exhibition @ Orchard
Walks in wild places
- Kranji Nature Walk with Nature Society (Singapore) - open to the public.
- Mangrove walk at Sungei Buloh on Saturday and Sunday.
- Evolution Garden guided tour.
For Nature Society (Singapore) members only
June school holidays - wondering what to do with the kids? Check out Biodiversity for kids during the June holidays! from Celebrating Singapore's BioDiversity!
Registration now open
- 27 Jun (Sun): Dive Pulau Hantu with the Hantu Bloggers
- 20 Jun (Sun): Fabulous Frogs & Terrific Toads! a night workshop for kids
- 19 Jun Sat and 20 Jun (Sun): Bugs & Slugs! What's Wild at HortPark?
- 19 Jun (Sat): Bats are beautiful! a night workshop for kids
- 12 Jun (Sat) and 26 Jun (Sat): Young Naturalist Passport Camp at Sungei Buloh
- 12 Jun (Sat): Getting To Know Our Dipterocarps with Cicada Tree Eco Place
- 29 May (Sat): Biodiversity Race 2010
Other on-going events and announcements
- Video competition - "Love Green: Just Bin it" closing date 27 Jun.
- From 1 Jun: Free entry to National Heritage Board Museums
Highlights of Singapore nature news
- More money for nature conservation in Singapore Growing interest in protecting Singapore's biodiversity leads to more funds for research, Victoria Vaughan, Straits Times 17 May 10;
- NParks to introduce more orchid species along Orchard Road Lynda Hong Channel NewsAsia 14 May 10
- Is Singapore the worst environmental offender? Victoria Vaughan Straits Times 14 May 10;
- Coming up: Chance to walk on water Submerged boardwalk will connect MacRitchie's banks as part of major makeover Straits Times 13 May 10;
- NParks to conduct coastal protection and restoration works at Pulau Tekong Channel NewsAsia 11 May 10;
- Singapore rejects claim of illegal sand imports It does not condone the illegal export or smuggling of sand: MND, Jessica Cheam, Straits Times 11 May 10;
- PUB's sticking to it: Drains are not bins Victoria Vaughan, Straits Times 11 May 10;
- Mass tree blooming in Singapore? Blooming difference in tropics and temperate zones
- Straits Times Forum 11 May 10;
Highlights of Singapore nature blogs
- NEW blog - Cyrene Exposed! from wild shores of singapore.
- Checking up on Pulau Sekudu 2010 from colourful clouds.
- Colourful St John's reef from wonderful creation.
- Singapore No. 1 global eco-destroyer? from wild shores of singapore.
- Butterfly of the Month: Striped Blue Crow from Butterflies of Singapore.
- Do birds sleep with their eyes closed? from Bird Ecology Study Group.
- Saving Singapore's last best mangroves at Pulau Tekong from wild shores of singapore.
Photo of the week is this gorgeous photo of migratory birds at Sungei Buloh shared by Mendis. One of these birds is special. As some of us found out during his talk on World Migratory Bird Day.